One of the most challenging aspects of losing a loved one is picking up the pieces and putting your financial life back together. Since 1996 Olpin Family Mortuary has offered a complimentary aftercare visit to each family using our services. One of our trained aftercare counselors will come to your home and assist you with the following:
- Social Security: We can help you file for the lump sum death benefit or for survivor benefits. We have extensive knowledge of how Social Security works and can answer any questions you may have.
- Veterans Benefits: We can help you navigate through the often confusing paperwork required to apply for VA benefits. Need a VA headstone? We can help. How about a Presidential Certificate? We have applications for those as well. Do you qualify for a VA death pension or Aid and Attendance benefits? Our aftercare counselor can walk you through the application process.
- Pensions, 401K’S, Investments. How do I claim the survivors pension benefit for my loved one? Can I roll over an IRA tax free? What is the difference between an annuity and a certificate of deposit? We can help you with these questions and many others.
- Life Insurance. We will call each life insurance company and assist you in filing the claim.
- Bank Accounts: Should you close the bank accounts or add a new signer onto the existing account? How do I get access to a safety deposit box? What are Testamentary letters and will I need them to access money in my loved one’s accounts? We can help you with all of these questions and many others.
- Wills, trusts, medical directives. What is the difference between a will and a living trust? What is the best way to transfer my home to my children? Our aftercare counselor can refer competent legal counsel to tackle these tough, important questions.
Many funeral homes talk about aftercare services. Usually they mean a web site or a book about grief with a check list to tell you what to do. At Olpin Family Mortuary we know and understand the weeks following the funeral service are often the most challenging. This is why we offer our in-person, in-home aftercare services without any additional charge. Let our experienced aftercare counselor help and assists you with all the difficult paperwork and decisions.